Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day ... 1983

I've felt a sense of uneasiness the last week or so. It usually happens this time of year around the anniversary of the Rudd Mudslide in Farmington.


This is a picture of where my house once stood. That's my bathtub in the foreground.

At approx. 7:00 PM on Monday, May 30, 1983 Memorial Day our lives were changed forever as a mudslide roared down Rudd Canyon above our home in Farmington. In all 7 homes were destroyed and about 200 people evacuated. Our home was in direct path of the slide and totally destroyed by the power of nature. Amazingly no one was hurt. We ran along with most of our neighbors fleeing what we had no idea was coming. Everyone was running from the enormous rumbling noise. I ran with 4 year old Bryan on my hip and 10 year old Jake by my side. Susan was at a neighbors house so her dad went to get her. We were all reunited and evacuate to Bountiful at Grandma Jane's house. I still hear the deafening roar and grinding, sirens make me uneasy because those were the sounds of the night.

As with all tragedies, amazing things came out of this experience. The wholehearted goodness of people is unbelievable in crises situations. We saw such an outpouring of love, concern and caring in the days, weeks and months following the mudslide. Life is all about changes and change is a good thing.

Give those you love a hug tonight and remember that they are what is really important in our lives. My hugs go out to all of you. I love you.

This was the only picture I could find of the mudslide. Does anyone have any you could send me?

2 comments:

Suzan said...

I am always reminded of the mudslide as Memorial Day approaches. I have been thinking about it a lot this year. Zach asked me recently where the house is that I lived in when I was a little girl. I told him the story and promised I will show him where it was. So I need to take him there soon. There are a few smells and sounds that always shoot me right back to that place in time. Sirens in the distance- everytime. And there is the smell of drying mud/dirt. It's a specific smell, maybe something to do with the time of year, but this weekend as Greg and I were moving dirt in our yard I caught that familiar whiff and was immediately taken back in time, in my head, to the day of the mudslide.
I think you are amazing for getting your family through this and staying strong (at least it seemed) I can't imaging how that was for you. A good reminder that material possessions can be taken away in a flash. What really matters is the relationships you have with other people in your life. Imagine how much harder this would have been without the people who care about you.
Love you Mom!

Leslie said...

Haven't checked in here for a while. Glad I did...Reading your account of the mudslide sent chills up my arms. It is so different to think about that situation as a young mother, just as you were. I don't know how I would make it through if it were me and my home. I also didn't realize it was on Memorial Day when it happened.

Thanks for sharing your story and your insights. Loved what you had to say about "change." I tend to resist it wholeheartedly, but it helped to hear you reassure that change is good. Love you Beth!